Earth Day is celebrated around the world on 22nd April with the aim of raising awareness of the changes needed to protect our planet.
At Hurawalhi Maldives we place the environment and sustainability at the very heart of our resort, each and every day of the year. Our solar panels contribute to the electricity needed to power the resort, our water bottling plant provides all the drinking water we need, our team nurture a wonderful organic garden that produces much of the fresh produce appearing on our menus, we say ‘no’ to plastic and provide environmentally friendly bathroom amenitites. The ocean and surrounding reefs are under the watchful eye of our marine biologist and there’s even a coral nursery project that’s doing very well.
Steps you can take at home to make a positive change for the environment:
- Recycle paper, plastic and glass
- Donate your old clothes and home goods instead of throwing them out and when you need something, consider buying used items
- Change your paper bills to online billing – you’ll be saving trees and the fuel it takes for delivery
- Buy organic food to keep your body and the environment free of toxic pesticides
- Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertilizer
- Plant native plants in your garden
- Turn off and unplug electronics you’re not using
- Use energy-efficient appliances and electronics
- Lower the temperature on your water heater and home heating
- Use a ‘bag for life’
- Say ‘no’ to single use plastics
- Walk or ride a bike instead of using the car
- Shop locally
- Plant some vegetable seeds and enjoy your own produce
- Use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products
- Replace inefficient incandescent light bulbs with efficient CFLs or LEDs
- Share car journeys with others
Join us at Hurawalhi in taking steps to make a positive change for the environment – everything we do, no matter how small will make a difference.